note that this is an assignment from international security in the 21st century.
The objective is to demonstrate command of a theoretical framework and the capacity to
support theory with data.
Complete a 2,500 word analytical essay on one
of the following:
1. What does Putin’s foreign and defense policy indicate about Russia’s Grand Strategy?
2. How can we explain the P5+1 cooperation vis-à-vis Iran’s nuclear development?
3. Can North Korea be deterred from any form of attack on South Korea?
4. Why is the Turkish cooperation with the West (USA and NATO) in the struggle against
5. How strong is the American-Egyptian alliance? What might weaken it?
Your essay must achieve the objectives and conform to the structure as outlined
below. It must be informed by theory.
1) Critically analyze a case with the help of theory while using its concepts and logic
2) Demonstrate the utility (and possible limits) of theory
3) Consider theory in light of rival explanations
4) Marshal the necessary empirical evidence to support analysis, findings and conclusions
5) Present logically coherent conclusions that fit the analysis and discuss the potential
benefit from the insight gained
A title that captures the essence of the work rather than providing crude provocation or
Introduction (~250-350 words): a presentation of the issue and puzzle, the
theoretical context, the general line of reasoning, and the structure of the essay.
A few main sections, each with a title of choice that concisely reflects the content
(about 2 to 5 sections, all in all some 1800-2000 words). Each section should discuss
part of the leading thesis; theoretically, empirically, or in combination. Each section
should be guided by clear and distinct set of concepts, arguments, and logic. Finally,
each should also reflect, in your own words, your interpretation, application, and insight
concerning the theory and its relationship with the data.
Conclusion (~250-350 words) should include the findings in a ‘nutshell’ (a brief
overview of the most important points of the essay), the gained insight, and the
potential gain for further/future research.
Start with a hook that grasps the reader’s attention.no definitions. start with a really good relevant
in the context and background set your scope and answer the question.
give a road map: give an outline about the essay.
10% of the mark goes to into.
don’t use first person.
state the argument with evidence
make sure each paragraph answers the question.
wrap the whole idea and DO NOT introduce a new idea
show how everything connects to the question.
make a reference list page and all pages are to be numbered
this assignment is 60% of the total mark. so follow the instructions strictly and pick whichever question out of the 5 that suites your writing capabilities best.