Overview and discussion of your issue
The purpose of this assignment is to identify and explore an issue about which you would like to learn more. This assignment will require that you apply the critical thinking, critical reading and critical action skills that you have been investigating. For this paper, you will be selecting an issue to explore. Go to www.ted.com/talks and select a video to watch. You may have to watch a few to find one that focuses on an issue about which you are really interested. In addition, you will need to find an article that is related to the issue. Once you have selected an issue, develop a paper in which you discuss the issue, your position on the issue, and the importance of the issue in society.Please include the link for the video and article that you have selected.
Your paper should be no more than two pages long. It should be typed and double-spaced to receive full credit. The paper will be evaluated for its clarity and thoroughness. The paper is worth a maximum of 50 points. Rubric attached.
To be successful on this paper you should compose a well-worded and thoughtful first paragraph that includes the following:
1. Overview and discussion of your issue.You will need to identify the issue and key points from the video and article.
2. Your position on the issue. Do you agree or disagree with the speaker/author?Why or why not?
For the next part of this assignment, you will need to develop responses to the prompts below. Each of your paragraphs should be well developed and thoughtful.
1. Why is this topic important to society? (Be sure to include evidence from the video and article to support your position.)
2. How does this issue affect different groups in society? (Be sure to include specific groups that are affected.)
3. After reading about my topic, I want to… (What action will you take? ie: further research, join an organization, educate others, create a fundraiser, donate money)
Your paper should consist of your video/article links, and four well-developed paragraphs (8 -10 sentences) that follow this outline:
I. Link to TED video and article
II. Overview of the issue, key points and position (paragraph 1)Be sure to reference both the video and the article you have selected.
III. Response to prompt 1 (paragraph 2)
IV. Response to prompt 2 (paragraph 3)
V. Response to prompt 3 (paragraph 4)