Automated Thought Record Paper
Make up anything you want regarding that I go to EMT emergency technician school at night and I go full time (15 Credits) at the college of Staten Island during the day. Act like I have been writing down an automatic thought record for two weeks. I just wrote how stressed I am and the crazy thoughts I am having. Its kind of a stupid assignment. Just don’t write that I am suicidal…LOL. Things like .. no eating no sleeping depressed.. any weird stuff that you want. Its kind of a [email protected]#T assignment LOL
1) Is there a pattern in “triggers” for your negative feelings and thoughts.
2) What pattern can you see in your automatic thoughts? (Beck’s types of cognitive errors; catastrophizing, minimizing, dichotomous thinking, etc.) AND core beliefs.
3) Summarize the evidence against your automatic thoughts.
4) What type of thought did you replace the automatic thought with, and was it effective.
5) Did this process help you feel more positive emotions?
6) Did this process help you engage in more productive behaviors?
7) What do you think of CBT now? CBT-Cognitive Behavioral Theory
Thought Record Sheet – 7 column
Situation / Trigger
Emotions – (Rate 0 – 100%) Body sensations
Unhelpful Thoughts / Images
Facts that support the unhelpful thought
Facts that provide evidence against the unhelpful thought
Alternative, more realistic and balanced perspective
What happened? Where? When? Who with? How?
What emotion did I feel at that time? What else?
How intense was it?
What did I notice in my body?
Where did I feel it?
What went through my mind? What disturbed me? What did those houghts/images/memories mean to me, or say about me or the situation?
What am I responding to?
What ‘button’ is this pressing for me? What would be the worst thing about that, or that could happen?
What are the facts? What facts do I have that the unhelpful thought/s are totally true?
What facts do I have that the unhelpful thought/s are NOT totally true?
Is it possible that this is opinion, rather than fact? What have others said about this?
STOPP! Take a breath….
What would someone else say about this situation? What’s the bigger picture? Is there another way of seeing it?
What advice would I give someone else?
Is my reaction in proportion to the actual event?
Is this really as important as it seems?
What am I feeling now? (0-100%)
What could I do differently? What would be more effective?
Do what works! Act wisely.
What will be most helpful for me or the situation?
What will the consequences be?
www.getselfhelp.co.uk Carol Vivyan 2010, adapted from Padesky 1995. Permission to use for therapy purposes www.get.gg