Intro to Healthcare
Awareness of Diversity Ethics Assessment
Note: In an effort to fully discuss awareness of diversity in health care case studies were retrieved for educational purposes. They are not intended to reflect the feelings of all members of the cultural group.
1. Research cultural diverse medical customs of people different than you. Discuss 3 new facts you found.
2. Read the case study below and discuss how you might handle a situation with a deaf patient. How might you demonstrate awareness of the deaf culture and provide compassionate and professional care?
“I had an experience with a deaf woman who had a new baby. She had a translator who signed to the patient what the nurses said and then told the nursing staff what the patient said. As we spoke I kept talking to the interpreter and directed all of my communications to her.
Read the case study below and discuss how you might handle a situation with a female Arab patient. How might you demonstrate awareness of the Arabic culture and provide compassionate and professional care?
“27 year old Arab man refused to allow a male lab technician to enter his wife's room to draw blood. She had just given birth. The staff finally convinced the husband of the need, he reluctantly allowed the technician in the room. However, he took the precaution, of making sure his wife was completely covered. Only her arm stuck out from beneath the covers.
Read the case study below and discuss how you might handle a situation with a non-English speaking patient. How might you demonstrate awareness of the Hispanic culture and provide compassionate and professional care?
3. “A Hispanic woman had to sign an informed consent form for a hysterectomy. The patient spoke no English and the hospital staff relied on her bilingual son to serve as the interpreter. When the son explained the procedure to the mother, he appeared to be translating accurately and indicating the proper body parts. His mother signed the consent form willingly. The next day, however, when she learned that her uterus had been removed and she could no longer bear children, she became very angry and threatened to sue the hospital.
Cognitive comp IV C 16: Differentiate between adaptive and non-adaptive coping mechanisms. Please answer these questions using textbook or online resources, with “human behavior” in mind.
Each correct answer is worth 1 point, for a total of 21 points.
Grade is calculated as follows: (# correct ÷21) x 100%. Minimum of 70% is required to pass competency.
1. What does it mean to “cope” with something? _ _____
2. What does the word mechanism means in terms of a behavior? _ ______
3. What does adaptive mean? _.________
4. What does non-adaptive mean? _________
5. Adaptive coping mechanism means, 1 point ________
Give an example, 1 point: ________
6. Non-adaptive coping mechanism means, 1 point ________
Give an example, 1 point: _______
7. What is defense mechanism? _________
Define the following defense mechanisms, using definitions that relate to human behavior:
Give an example, 1 point _____
2. Transference, 1 point: ______
Give an example, 1 point, ____________________________
3. Countertransference, 1 point: _______________________
Give an example, 1 point ___________
4. Displacement, 1 point: ________________
Give an example, 1 point: ___________
5. Compensation, 1 point: _________________
Give an example, 1 point: ____________
6. Rationalization, 1 point: _________
Give an example, 1 point: ___
Warning this is not an essay. But I uploaded to packets. From the two pack you only needed to do three pages total. All worked is to be typed out right on the lined provided on the worksheet.
To complete the assignment you must have read a text Book called Therapeutic Communication For Health Professionals by Cynthia Herbert Adams and Peter D. Jones 3 rd edition before.
The pages you complete is as follows: The first uploaded document label as IVC 1,2,3,4. Pleased opened it, answered all question typed out right over the template I provided in complete sentences with no errors and than scroll down to page two and answered all questions on that page as well. The last page do not do.
You've already answered and completed two pages. Your last page which is page three, pleased opened the assignment template label as IA3 Demonstrate awareness, and complete the third page of the upload that has question label as question 1-7, 1-6. Pleased answered complete sentences with no errors. All together is three pages.