1. What does Collier describe as “universal” in the introduction of the book? Do you agree that these are “universal’? Does Collier have a bias when writing this?
2. In Chapter 1, Collier provides a number of options for an “old autocrat” now having to retain power in a democracy. What are the options he provides?
3. In chapter 2, what happened to political parties in both Ireland and Kenya as a result of electoral competition in ethnically divided societies?
4. Give two examples from the book about how the price of guns contributes to the small arms trade.
5. Pick one of the three proposals that Collier describes in chapter 9 and evaluate it using the Human Security framework. Examine how 2 different components of human security may be improved by the proposal you have chosen to analyze.