Historically, what did a police patrol consist of
The patrol division of a police department is the lifeblood of how and where a majority of information flows into the organization. For police departments that either plan to or have already implemented a community policing program or project, one particular division that police officials address is patrol. The patrol officers of the department’s patrol division perform a battery of tasks while interacting with community members and business owners. Those tasks can and do include handling calls for service, writing crime reports, solving problems, and being visible. One area of patrol that community policing programs promotes is foot patrols.
Another form of patrol that police departments utilize is bicycle patrols. Bicycle patrols are typically popular in downtown areas, shopping malls, and business communities because of their ease in maneuverability but more so because of the closer interaction the officer has with the citizens that work and patronize the various businesses.
- Address the following in 3 pages:
- Historically, what did a police patrol consist of? Explain.
- What were the traditional policies regarding community relations? Explain.
- Conduct a search, or contact your local law enforcement agency to find out if the department has a foot patrol, bicycle patrol, scooter patrol, horse patrol, etc.
- Discuss the types of different patrol programs that the department has implemented. You will want to address at least 2 patrol programs, if possible.
- Answer the following for each program:
- Where is the patrol program typically implemented? Explain.
- Is the program utilized year-round, or is it seasonal? Explain why.
- What is the stated purpose of the program? Explain.
- What is the public opinion of this program? Explain.
- How effective is this program at fulfilling its intended purpose? Explain.
- Generally speaking, how do the various patrol programs help to bring the police officers closer to the citizens? Explain.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.