Gotti’s lyrics by Lil Wayne
Select a representation of race in our popular culture. It could be a song, a music video, an advertisement (print or television), a TV show, a movie, a play, a novel, or another type of representation (I recommend that you email me or your TA at least two weeks in advance of your paper if you have trouble thinking of something). It can be contemporary or historical (VT library’s special collections have lots of interesting original sources). Using a minimum of 4 in-class readings, analyze the representation you have selected in relation to the larger themes of the course in 5-7 pages double-spaced. Does this representation affirm stereotypes? Does it counter them? What does it tell us about ideas about racial identities in the United States?
Important Specifications and Further Instructions
· Please provide a brief description of the representation you have chosen. If you have chosen an image, you may include a copy of the picture. If you have chosen song lyrics, you can include a transcription of the lyrics. If you have picked a music video or advertisement that you can see online, you may want to just include a page with the link so we can watch it. If there are no links available for the above choices or if you have selected a TV show, movie, or piece of literature, you will have to describe it in your own words. This description, or the copies of the images/lyrics, etc., should be included in the back of your paper behind your bibliography. IT DOES NOT COUNT TOWARDS THE PAGE LIMIT, EVEN IF YOU WRITE YOUR OWN DESCRIPTION.
· If you choose to do a television show or movie, you may want to select a specific episode of the show or scene of the movie to make the paper more manageable – remember, it is only 5-7 pages double-spaced.
· Remember to analyze the significance of this representation in social and historical context. This may be different depending on what time period you are working on.
· You must include a minimum of 4 in-class readings in your analysis. Outside sources are welcome, but not necessary. Even if you choose to use outside sources, you must still include a minimum of 4 in-class readings.
· Your paper must be 5-7 pages, double-spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font, and have 1-inch margins on all sides. Please include page numbers.
· You must include proper citations and a bibliography/works cited page. You can select whichever citation style you feel most comfortable with (Turabian, MLA, Chicago, APA, etc.) as long as it is consistent throughout the paper. The bibliography must include the full and complete citation, even for in-class readings; it is not sufficient to just list the title of the reading. Bibliographies do not count towards the page limit.
· Depending on what you choose, you may have to use newspaper articles or magazines as sources. That is fine. However, Wikipedia does not count as a source. Anyone can write on Wikipedia, which means that it is not a reliable academic source.