DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORPORATION INTERNATIONAlInternational Case Study 2
DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORPORATION INTERNATIONAL: Fitting
Architecture to Competitive Restructuring
1. What are the benefits of a centralized IS department, and what are the benefits of a
2. What is the relationship between the corporate structure and IS structure and what is the
problem faced by Cook?
3. What forces (drivers) caused Digital to change its organizational structure?
4. Which of the changes introduced by Digital can be considered BPR?
5. Are there any cultural, economic, political, or other environmental factors unique to the
European location that may impact the delivery of IT?
1This case is a condensed version of the Digital Equipment Corporation International (Europe) A & B case studies. prepared by
Research Associate Cathy B. Huycke with the assistance of Peter R. Cook. under the supervision of Professors Michael D. Oliff
and Donald A. Marchand.
Copyright ~ 1994 by the International Institute for Management Development (IMD), Lausanne, Switzerlan